Website earlham1847 Office of Public Safety
Earlham College invites applications for the position of Dispatcher in the Department of Public Safety. This is a full-time, hourly staff position with a $10.90/hr. pay rate and full benefits package including:
- Health insurance
- Paid vacation/sick time
- Access to Wellness Center
- Admission to campus events
- Tuition remission program available upon completion of 2 years employment.
The Public Safety Dispatcher, reporting to the Assistant Director of Public Safety, acts as the primary emergency and general information and a message relay contact for the campus community. This position handles all incoming calls through the college switchboard and coordinates dispatch and deployment of Public Safety and other campus personnel. This position works primarily second shift; 4 p.m. – 12 a.m. (midnight) which may fall on holidays.
Primary duties & responsibilities
- Answer all Public Safety phones (emergency and non-emergency) and initiate necessary response.
- Answer incoming calls received through the campus switchboard and forward to appropriate office or provide information as needed.
- Monitor all campus alarm systems (fire, security, etc.).
- Maintain necessary communications with patrol officers, as well as local law enforcement, fire department and emergency medical personnel as needed.
- Maintain necessary shift logs.
- Monitor systems for controlling electronic access and video surveillance.
- Utilize department’s computer records management system for reports and data entry.
- Provide front desk assistance to students, employees and visitors of the College, which may include but not be limited to issuing parking permits, ID cards and keys.
Experience & qualifications
- Attainment of high school diploma or GED.
- Experience in the human services field, first responder/emergency response or a related field is preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to comprehend and maintain a working knowledge of departmental rules and regulations.
- Ability to think and act quickly and professionally in sensitive situations.
- Ability to work cooperatively with other Public Safety staff, College employees and local law enforcement officials.
- Ability to work and communicate well with college-aged adults in a multicultural environment.
- Computer proficiency is required.
- Applicants with previous First Responder experience will be strongly considered.
- Excellent problem-solving and good interpersonal skills, including the ability to work well in a team setting with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision as well as assist in the supervision of student staff.
- Neat and organized work style, excellent phone etiquette skills and the ability to handle confidential information.
Please send a letter of application that addresses the various responsibilities of the position; resume; and the name, position title, email address and phone number of three professional references in a single PDF file to:
Office of Human Resources
801 National Road West
Richmond, IN 47374-4095
Email: [email protected]
Applications may also be completed in person at the Public Safety Office.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Employment is contingent on a background check and passing a physical exam.